Sunday, September 19, 2010

Research Project Progress

My Role Model

When this assignment first came up, when I first heard the term “role model,” I automatically thought of my mother. I admire my mother and look up to her in many ways. After reading John Waters “Role Models” I thought more about who a role model is to me.  I started to think about how he mentioned that in many circumstances, our role models have opposite traits than us.  While thinking this over, one person came to mind.  My math teacher from my junior year of high school.  Mr. McClintock; Rick McClintock.  The hardest, but softest person I’ve ever met in my life.  Here is why I look at him as a role model to myself:
Smart/Witty:
-Quick comebacks in all situations
-Incredible math skills
*math teacher in Ticonderoga High School for 10+ years
*teaches AP stats, trig, algebra 2/math b
-Great common sense
-Keeps up with what’s going on in the world
-Always thinks things through/finds reasoning for everything/he can back everything he says up somehow, some way
Determined/Committed:
-Gets his work done without wasting any time
-Makes sure everyone knows when he’s available
-Has work ready for anyone who needs it up to two weeks in advance
-Gets to the school an hour before it starts if anyone needs to go in for extra help
-Will help get a tutor, or will tutor you himself if you need it

-Has review sessions towards the end of the year almost every day after school or before school to make sure students are prepared
-Understanding if you’re having personal problems
-Hard on you at first, but if you go in for extra help he softens up
-Jokes around with students when he feels the need to (ex: “If you want to do well in this class, I love food.”)
Strong/Hard:
-Hard on students the first couple of weeks to get them going
-Doesn’t show his soft side when work needs to be done
-Doesn’t cut you any slack if you make up excuses as to why your homework isn’t done, or why you don’t know how to do a problem on the homework
-Strict on how your work is done (his way or no way, basically)
-Keeps you up on your feet, always (no slouching allowed in his classroom!)

No comments:

Post a Comment